WHEN? 7pm UK time Saturday 5 February 2022
WHERE? Avicii Arena, Stockholm
WHERE DO I WATCH? SVT Play
- Read on for reasons including finalen and Andra Chansen predictions
Show opener Malou Prytz Bananas (Alice Gernandt, Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
It’s like Ace Wilder never left us. Contest openers rarely win but seem instead designed to display the ambition and spectacle to come. Co-written by perennial bridesmaid Ace Wilder (2nd in 2014, 3rd in 2016, 7th in 2017). Prytz has MF history making the 2019 finalen finishing 12th with I Do Me. This is her 3rd MF attempt. Great contest opener. B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
2. THEOZ Som Du Vill (As you wish) (Tobias Lundgren, Axel Schylström, Tim Larsson, Elize Ryd, Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt) PREDICTION: 5th
Co-writer Axel Schylström competed in MF 2017 making the Andra Chansen with När ingen ser (When no-one sees). THEOZ is graduating into the big leagues after making pop for youngsters most recently and this is fun.
3. Shirley Clamp Let There Be Angels (Mats Tärnfors, Pelle Nylén, Shirley Clamp, Jakob Skarin) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
We’re hugely biased at Team monstagigz because we’ve been Team Shirley for a very long time. We’re expecting a big vocal and she hasn’t made the finalen since 2005 despite several attempts since then. 1 of the most memorable Andra Chansen appearances saw her best finish in 2004.
4. Omar Rudberg Moving Like That (Omar Rudberg, Gustav Blomberg, Amanda Kongshaug, Kristin Marie) PREDICTION: Direkt Till Finalen
Rudberg was a 3rd of boyband FO&O who finished 7th in MF the year Bengtsson won in 2017. He participated as a solo artist 2 years later when Om om och om igen failed to progress from its semi but since then the half-Venezuelan has played a lead character in Netflix show Young Royals. We’re expecting that star power to propel him to DTF ahead of The Clamp who might once again benefit from some Andra Chansen love.
LISTEN TO ONE-MINUTE CLIPS OF THESE SONGS
5. Danne Stråhed Hallaballoo (Danne Stråhed, Fredrik Andersson, Erik Stenhammar) PREDICTION: 6th
We love ska. Stråhed is a veteran with experience dating back to the 70s but on this snippet we’re not quite yet going for this.
6. Cornelia Jakobs Hold Me Closer (Isa Molin, David Zandén, Cornelia Jakobsdotter) PREDICTION: 7th
Competed in 2011 and 2012 with the Red One-backed girl group Love Generation without ever making the finalen. Sounds quite Robyn to these ears which, of course, would be amazing. Not sure however whether it’s MF ready.
7. Robin Bengtsson Innocent Love (David Lindgren Zacharias, Victor Sjöström, Victor Crone, Viktor Broberg, Sebastian Atas) PREDICTION: Direkt Till Finalen
We’ve written ‘Footloose‘ in our very brief notes. Never derogatory. Bengtsson was 2017’s winner who finished 5th in Kiev, Ukraine with I Can’t Go On. Can’t imagine this won’t be DTF again.
- Picture via YouTube courtesy SVT Melodifestivalen
- Have you heard any of these songs or seen any of these shows? Let us know what you thought in the comments below Heat 1 preview Heat 2 preview Heat 3 preview Heat 4 preview
- Enjoyed this review? Follow monstagigz on Twitter @NeilDurham, email firstname.lastname@example.org and check us out on Instagram and Facebook