WHEN?: Saturday 12 March (7pm UK time) on SVT (link to watch below)
2016 sees the strongest final line-up we can remember and although Frans is currently topping Sweden’s chart the introduction of the international juries into Saturday’s show should add a fascinating dynamic to proceedings.
- Read on for our predictions for the 12 finalists and their heat performances
- Panetoz Håll Om Mig Hårt OUR RANKING: 1st PREDICTION: 8th
It was a close-run thing with Ace Wilder but this lively performance of an upbeat pop song is our pick of the finalists. Probably on too early to be a contender but will make a great opener. In Swedish and so might struggle with the international juries.
2. Lisa Ajax My Heart Wants Me Dead OUR RANKING: 11th PREDICTION: 11th
This Idol winner bags herself the worst draw of the night and it’s never been one of our favourite songs.
3. David Lindgren We Are Your Tomorrow OUR RANKING: 7th PREDICTION: 10th
Trite lyrics aside, MF’s Mr Safe Pair Of Hands slickly combines dancing and singing to give this song a better performance than it deserves.
4. SaRaha Kizunguzungu OUR RANKING: 10th PREDICTION: 9th
Looking for a novelty hit that is pure Lion King goes electro? Look no further. We were disappointed this beat Isa in last week’s Andra Chansen duels.
5. Oscar Zia Human OUR RANKING: 3rd PREDICTION: 6th
We’re loving that Oscar’s just come out and co-wrote this second MF entry. It’s the first big ballad of the night and we’d like to see it outperform its main competition Youniverse.
6. Ace Wilder Don’t Worry OUR RANKING: 2nd PREDICTION: 4th
Initially we thought this wasn’t quite as good as 2014 runner-up Busy Doin’ Nothin’ but it’s grown on us in the last month or so and was almost our own personal favourite. SVT has excelled itself with the super inventive staging. We can definitely see this at Eurovision and suspect it will be a big favourite of the international juries.
7. Robin Bengtsson Constellation Prize OUR RANKING: 4th PREDICTION: 3rd
A proper grown-up pop song that could be a hit across Europe performed by a singer very easy on the eye. We suspect this year’s success of younger acts (possibly to do with app voting) might count against the lovely Robin.
8. Molly Sandén Youniverse OUR RANKING: 9th PREDICTION: 2nd
The song’s actually far more contemporary than the big ballad we were expecting from the pre-contest favourite. Not keen at all on the staging though. Big fans of onstage billowing curtains we are not.
9. Boris René Put Your Love On Me OUR RANKING: 12th PREDICTION: 12th
We were surprised this progressed through Andra Chansen and although it’s pleasant enough we expect it to sink like a stone in the final.
10. Frans If I Were Sorry OUR RANKING: 5th PREDICTION: 1st
The surprise breakout hit of the contest is topping Sweden’s charts and sounds very current Justin Bieber to us. However we wonder whether the international juries might tire of the odd-sounding Cockney-esque vocal.
11. Wiktoria Save Me OUR RANKING: 8th PREDICTION: 7th
The Country’n’Western-ish song has definitely grown on us in the intervening weeks. However impressive the light show which accompanies this is we can’t help but feel it’s an idea already done to death in Eurovision.
12. Samir & Viktor Bada Nakna OUR RANKING: 6th PREDICTION: 5th
Expecting the Swedish public to vote big for this topless crowdpleaser but don’t think it will do much business with the international juries.
- Watch Melodifestivalen here. Sweden hosts the 2016 Eurovision final in Stockholm on 14 May. We’ll be previewing it on this site. Picture via Facebook courtesy Melodifestivalen. Join us for our Melodifestivalen afterparty immediately after the show featuring our top 5 favourite winners.
- Enjoyed this preview? Follow its author on Twitter @NeilDurham