WHEN?: 7pm (UK time) 16/2/19 on SVT (link at the bottom of the page below)
Last week’s Heat 2 had the disappointing double whammy of songs far less good than its predecessor and its best song finishing last but the good news is Heat 3 is a return to form.
- Read on for reasons including how we think this week’s 7 songs will fare on Saturday night
We’ve already previewed the four MF returners in this heat and to read more about them go here. Below is where you’ll find the snippets of this year’s entries (both audio and visual) and our predictions about who will finish where on Saturday.
- The Lovers Of Valdaro Somebody Wants (Peter Boström, Thomas G:son) PREDICTION: Finalen
There really haven’t been enough groups in MF in recent years and this is far more fun and in with a chance than we were expecting. It feels a bit Get Lucky by Daft Punk with the funk dialled down a notch and the pop electro turned up. Our one to watch in this heat.
2. Dolly Style Habibi (Jimmy Jansson, Palle Hammarlund, Robert Norberg) PREDICTION: 7th
Dolly Style may have had more line-up changes than the Sugababes but the act, style and songs remain very much the same with an emphasis on 60s fashion goes Hello Kitty singing pop belters. Habibi seems a little more understated than the 2 hook-laden pop gems that saw them reach AC twice. We suspect Sweden may tire of them a little tonight.
3. Martin Stenmarck Låt skiten brinn (Let The Shit Burn) (Uno Svenningsson, Tim Larsson, Tobias Lundgren) PREDICTION: 6th
This week’s returning former winner may have reunited with members of the team behind Las Vegas‘ 2005 triumph but is sounding more Du tar mig tillbaks (6th in its heat in 2016) than När änglarna går hem (out in Andra Chansen in 2014).
- 30 second visual clips here
4. Lina Hedlund Victorious (Melanie Wehbe, Richard Edwards, Dino Medanhodzic, Johanna Jansson) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
The 1 we were most excited for before we heard the songs and this doesn’t disappoint. Missing the schlager that made MF so joyous in the 00s? Looking for this year’s Party Voice? This looks like our best chance. Lina’s already enhanced Alcazar no end and proved she can do it solo in this competition. This is the 1 we’ll be rooting for on Saturday night. Go Lina!
5. Omar Om igen (Over Again) (Omar Rudberg, Johan Lindbrandt, Robin Stjernberg, Jens Hult) PREDICTION: 5th
We’ve already referred to last week’s FO&O injustice and this week Oscar’s bandmate returns with a song with memorable choreography and a repetitive lyric that we feel might be judged only slightly less harshly.
6. Rebecka Karlsson Who I Am (Rebecka Karlsson, Anderz Wrethov, Henric Pierroff) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
The bookmakers have Rebecka as 2nd favourite to qualify in this heat and, while we’re enjoying the song, we actually found her live vocals a little too nasal for our liking. A case of the song being better than the performance then but the adrenaline of Saturday night might change all that.
- 60 second sound clips here
7. Jon Henrik Fjällgren Norrsken (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Niklas Carson Mattsson, Jon Henrik Fjällgren) PREDICTION: Finalen
That JHF may currently be the favourite to win the whole thing may have something to do with how familiar and, let’s choose this next adjective super carefully, reliable MF is becoming. The song is very much what we’ve come to expect from this 3rd time participant (2nd in 2015 and 3rd in 2017) but the staging lifts it into something quite beautiful. Our heart says Wiktoria but our head thinks this is the 1 to beat thus far.