WHEN?: Saturday 20 February 2021
WHERE?: Annexet, Stockholm
This year’s Melodifestivalen features no less than 4 former winners however only 1 of them actually went on to triumph in the entire Eurovision Song Contest and it is Charlotte Perrelli (pictured above) who opens this heat.
- Read on for reasons including acts Klara Hammarström and Alvaro Estrella
- Charlotte Perrelli Still Young (Thomas G:son, Bobby Ljunggren, Erik Bernholm, Charlie Gustavsson)
Perrelli was surnamed Nilsson when she won Eurovision for Sweden in 1999 with the Wizzard-esque Take Me To Your Heaven. She returned to host Melodifestivalen in 2004 before winning again in 2008 with schlager anthem Hero. The Girl deserved better in 2012 and Mitt Liv got its just desserts in 2017. Ljunggren co-wrote Hero.
We feature The Girl (below) which didn’t make it out of its heat because youth appears to be a recurring theme in the lyric of her latest entry which has a real pedigree in its writing team. Perrelli is always an outstanding live performer and with this coveted running order position it is little wonder at the time of writing that the bookies have her down as 1 of the top 2 qualifiers from this heat.
2. Emil Assergård Om allting skiter sig (If everything sucks) (Emil Assergård, Jimmy Jansson, Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Anderz Wrethov, Johanna Wrethov)
3. Klara Hammarström Beat Of Broken Hearts (David Kreuger, Fredrik Kempe, Niklas Carson Mattson, Andreas Wijk)
Hammarström debuted in MF last year but failed to make the finalen with Nobody. This year she boasts a song co-written by Kempe who is behind contest winners in 2008 (performed by 2021 contestant Charlotte Perrelli), 2009, 2011 (2021 Heat 4 contestant Eric Saade) and 2014.
4. Mustasch Contagious (Ralf Gyllenhammar, David Johannesson)
5. Elisa Den du är (Who You Are) (Bobby Ljunggren, Ingela “Pling” Forsman, Elisa Lindström)
6. Alvaro Estrella Baila Baila (Anders Wrethov, Linnea Deb, Jimmy ‘Joker’ Thörnfeldt)
Estrella is a Swedish/Chilean singer/dancer who made last year’s finalen with Mendez finishing 11th with Vamos Amigos. He failed to make the final in 2014 with Bedroom (watch below). Like fellow contestant this year Anton Ewald, he has also danced on the show including on Amazing with fellow contestant this year Danny Saucedo (read our 2021 Heat 1 preview).
7. Tusse Voices (Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Anderz Wrethov)
Keep an eye on monstagigz.com during January as we’ll be previewing 2021’s 28 entries. During February this site will predict how each heat will go on the Friday after we’ve heard the songs before the Saturday events. In March we’ll forecast how the finalen will go and how each of the 12 qualifiers would do in May in Rotterdam at Eurovision.