It’s Christmas and what would the festive season be without some recognition of the best of 2017? Over the next few days we’ll shortlist five nominees in each of 13 categories for our Oscars, or monstas if you will, of 2017.
- Read on for nominees for the monsta for Theatre actor of the year: 2017. 2016 winner: George Mackay (The Caretaker, Old Vic)
Would becoming a member of your favourite theatre make it easier for you to get the most in-demand tickets? We became a member of eight of our favourite venues and bought one group membership to see what the value for money is.
- Read on to find out what membership of the Almeida, ATG, new Bridge Theatre, British Film Institute, Chichester Festival Theatre, Donmar Warehouse, National Theatre, Old Vic and Young Vic gets you
- Follies at the National
Imelda Staunton made our Best Theatre Actress of 2017 shortlist so far for Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf and stars here at the National with Tracie Bennett and Janie Dee in the Sondheim classic (which features Losing My Mind, see below). Runs 22/8 through 3/1/18. Picture courtesy National Theatre. Tickets
We awarded 12 monstas for the best pop, theatre, TV and film of 2016 in December – and here we look at the cream of 2017 so far and what’s to come. James McAvoy and George Mackay are previous winners in this category.
- Read on for our top 5 best theatre actors of 2017 so far and our hopes for the next half year
WORTH A LOOK?: *****
WHERE: Almeida Theatre
WHEN: 2/3, runs to 6/4
Such was our excitement about this Robert Icke production that we had second row tickets for the first preview on 17/2.
- Read on for reasons including why Scott’s Hamlet is better than Cumberbatch’s
- Charlotte Perrelli returns to Melodifestivalen
Europe’s premiere Eurovision selection show launches on 4/2 at 7pm English time with the return of 1999 winner Charlotte Perrelli, who also won Melodifestivalen in 2008, MF favourites Ace Wilder, Dinah Nah and Boris Rene. 2012 Eurovision winner Loreen also competes in heat 4 25/2. Prime-time Saturday nights in February sorted. Picture via YouTube from the Take Me To Your Heaven performance in 1999’s Eurovision.
- Read on for reasons including what Imelda Staunton did next, Sherlock goes Hamlet and the pick of the awards season
Would becoming a member of your favourite theatre make it easier for you to get the most in-demand tickets? We became a member of five of our favourite London venues to see what the value for money is.
- Read on to find out what membership of the Almeida, British Film Institute, Menier Chocolate Factory, National Theatre and Old Vic gets you.
WORTH A LOOK?: ****
WHERE: Playhouse Theatre
WHEN: 17/6 runs to 29/10
Robert Icke won the 2016 best director Olivier for Oresteia and there’s much from that in this 2014 Almeida production which is back in the West End for another run.
- Read on for the reasons why this George Orwell literary classic works on stage
WORTH A LOOK?: ** (on 28/11, **** potential later)
WHERE: Royal Court
WHEN: 28/11, runs to 9/1/16
Is it ever acceptable for a leading actor to carry their script with them while on stage and refer to it occasionally when they have clearly forgotten their lines?