WHEN?: 7pm (UK time) 15/2/20
WHERE?: Coop Norbotten Arena, Luleå
Just when you thought Melodifestivalen was becoming super predictable and this hugely diverse selection can’t help but shake things up.
- Read on for reasons including our predictions for acts including Mariette and Mohombi
We’re loving the four finalen choices so far but who do we think will join them?
- Mariette Shout It Out (Thomas G:son, Cassandra Ströberg, Alex Shield, Mariette Hansson) PREDICTION: Finalen
A laidback verse shocked into life by a rousing chorus with pre-recorded backing vocals chanting the title. Mariette’s made the finalen on each of the three occasions that she’s previously appeared in Melodifestivalen and we expect nothing less from this.
2. Albin Johnsén Livet börjar nu (Life begins now) (Robin Stjernberg, Albin Johnsén, Gino Yonan) PREDICTION: 6th
Quirky and with a painting ladder as part of its peculiar backdrop. Stjernberg’s a former MF winner but we’re not expecting a repeat for this.
3. Drängarna Pisa och dräng (Pisa and boy) (Anders Wigelius, Robert Norberg, Jimmy Jansson) PREDICTION: 5th
Each song performed third in each of Melodifestivalen’s first two heats has so far made the finalen and we’re not sure which way this will go at all. Sounding like The Pogues to us, albeit in Swedish, this is great fun.
- Listen to the one-minute clips
4. Amanda Aasa Late (Amanda Aasa, Siri Jansson, Erik Grahn, Alex Shield) PREDICTION: 7th
Delicate and rather sensible synthpop which just seems too polite in this company to prove memorable.
5. Anis don Demina Vem är som oss (Who is like us) (Anderz Wrethov, Johanna Elkesdotter Wrethov, Anis Don Demina, Robin Svensk) PREDICTION: Finalen
Looking for the party? Don Demina just brought it and we think this chanty dance juggernaut will be impossible to stop on Saturday night.
- Watch the 30-second rehearsal clips
6. Faith Kakembo Crying Rivers (Jörgen Elofsson, Liz Rodrigues) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
Always difficult to judge a ballad after hearing a brief clip but this has plenty of potential. Not sure if Kakembo has the voice to do it justice however. A touch of David Lynch’s Twin Peaks about the descending chords.
7. Mohombi Winners (Jimmy Jansson, Mohombi Moupondo, Palle Hammarlund) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
A very Melodifestivalen title. A meandering verse sprouts into something more melodic and compelling. Not quite as direct as we were expecting with a title like that however.
- Picture via YouTube courtesy SVT Melodifestivalen. Tickets
- Enjoyed this review? Follow its author on Twitter @NeilDurham, email email@example.com and check us out on Instagram and Facebook