We awarded 12 monstas for the best pop, theatre, TV and film of 2016 in December – and here we look at the cream of 2017 so far and what’s to come. Sheridan Smith and Jade Anouka are previous winners in this category.
Read on for our top 5 best theatre actresses of 2017 so far and our hopes for the next half year
- Jade Anouka (Cover My Tracks, Old Vic)
2. Cherry Jones (The Glass Menagerie, Duke of York’s)
Director John Tiffany picked up an Olivier this year for Harry Potter but it was the two leading ladies of this production (see also below) who stole the show for us. Review
3. Sienna Miller (Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Apollo Theatre)
Tennessee Williams has always proved a rich source of full-bodied leading lady roles and Miller as the titular cat, feline and twitchy, is one of many reasons to see this fine West End revival. Tickets Review
4. Kate O’Flynn (The Glass Menagerie, Duke Of York’s)
Jones and her love of ‘gentleman callers’ had the showier part but it was O’Flynn’s job to break the heart and her entrance in and out of a sofa underlined the subtlety of her performance. Review
5. Imelda Staunton (Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Harold Pinter Theatre)
In contrast, there was nothing subtle about Staunton’s ball-breaking performance here. Nominated in 2015 for Gypsy, she may well be the one to beat this year so far. Review
Actresses we’re excited for in 2017 include Staunton again in Follies at the National, with Janie Dee and Tracie Bennett (Tickets), Lesley Sharp in The Seagull at The Lyric, Hammersmith (Tickets) and Olivia Colman in Mosquitoes at the National (Tickets).
- Picture via Facebook courtesy ATG Tickets. Check out our tips and hopes in each of the remaining 11 categories on this site over the rest of the summer. Go here for Theatre Actor, Musical and Best New Play.
- Enjoyed this review? Follow its author on Twitter @NeilDurham, email firstname.lastname@example.org and check us out on Instagram and Facebook