By Carron Stacey, A Humdrum Mum
WHEN?: Sunday 13 March 2022
Described by their own local paper as “electro art-rock”, Regressive Left surprised me as a support band that I wanted to review separately rather than tagging along with BODEGA, who they are touring with this month.
- Read on for reasons including how Regressive Left’s female drummer is an inspiration
An interesting trio of singer/sampler flanked by guitarist (who seemed amazingly to sound like a synth) and a female drummer! I know this sounds awfully sexist, but I come from an era where this was uncommon and any female drummers from the Go-Go’s and L7 back in the day added to the magic for me. (Sadly I was thwarted in my bid to become a drummer because my discriminating music teacher wouldn’t allow me to wear trousers for my weekly lessons at school and I wasn’t comfortable in front of him playing with my skirted legs open.)
It was a joy to watch Georgia Hardy (channelling Orielles) keep rhythm tonight, especially shaking her blunt cut long bob and short fringe beautifully in time.
As you would expect with their band name, the group are political with lyrics including “defaulting on the mortgages, defaulting on your privilege”, “Another riddle for the hegemonic lumpenproletariat, I got my situation under control” but their musicality linked with wordy lyrics is what gripped me (my highlight was “I’m on the Wrong Side of History”.)
I’m sad to see that I wasn’t the first to link them to Talking Heads, however, I did tell singer Simon Tyrie in a complete fan-girl moment that I thought I’d met the new David Byrne!
Melding synth-guitar sounds with dancy beats alongside sharp drumming and Tyrie’s lyrics (I really want to just read his lyric book), they are a band to keep your eyes (and ears) on.
- Read more from Carron at her blog A Humdrum Mum
- Main picture courtesy Regressive Left via Facebook. Tickets
- In article picture by by Carron Stacey. Have you heard any of these songs or seen any of these shows? Let us know what you thought in the comments below
- Enjoyed this review? Follow monstagigz on Twitter @NeilDurham, email email@example.com and check us out on Instagram and Facebook
Wow wow I saw them that night too. There for Bodega, but RL were the highlight.
LikeLiked by 1 person