WHEN?: Saturday 13 February 2021
WHERE?: Annexet, Stockholm
Can The Mamas make it 3 wins in a row after backing John Lundvik on Too Late For Love in 2019 and singing Move themselves the following year?
- Read on for reasons including who we think will go direkt til finalen and who will make Andra Chansen
- Tess Merkel Good Life (Tony Malm, Tess Merkel, Palle Hammarlund, Mats Tärnfors) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
This third of the current line-up of Alcazar has competed in Melodifestivalen five times with the group, finishing 3rd 3 times. We’re living for the spoken word section of this uptempo and modern song which we’re hoping will progress further in the competition joining our favourites Dotter and Charlotte Perrelli in the final.
2. Lovad Allting är precis likadant (Everything is exactly the same) (Mattias Andréasson, Alexander Nivek, Lova Drevstam, Albin Johnsén) PREDICTION: 7th
Emotional ballads haven’t fared well in 2021 and this singer/songwriter may suffer because of the audience’s desire for something uptempo and fun rather than introspective and downbeat.
3. Efraim Leo Best Of Me (Efraim Leo, Cornelia Jakobsdotter, Amanda Björkegren, Herman Gardarfve) PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
Leo has recently started releasing music and has a co-writing credit here. Unlike its predecessor, this is upbeat and optimistic and will benefit from that.
4. The Mamas In The Middle (Emily Falvey, Robin Stjernberg, Jimmy Jansson) PREDICTION: Finalen
Will it be 3rd time lucky for this trio? Last year’s winners with Move, 2019 victors as back-up vocalists to John Lundvik and with 2013 winner Stjernberg as co-writer, the anticipation is high for this. It’s gospellish and will inevitably sound better live than it does on record here but there’s not enough of the clip to be sure whether the magic can last 3 years in a row.
LISTEN TO ONE-MINUTE CLIPS OF THESE SONGS
5. Sannex All Inclusive (Greta Svensson, Hans Thorstensson) PREDICTION: 5th
It’s a good year to be a dansband entering something joyous reminding of better times and this will doubtless find its audience. Predominantly in Swedish, despite its English title, which shouldn’t be to its detriment given previous results this year particularly in semi 1.
6. Clara Klingenström Behöver inte dig idag (Do not need you today) (Clara Klingenström, Bobby Ljunggren, David Lindgren Zacharias) PREDICTION: 6th
We’ve loved some of the classy ballads which have been given the penultimate running order slot but have struggled in 2021. It’s hard not to think that a similar fate is not about to fall to Clara with a song that has a little more oomph than we were expecting.
7. Eric Saade Every Minute (Eric Saade, Linnea Deb, Joy Deb, Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt) PREDICTION: Finalen
Can he be as pop as he was when Popular was a 2011 winner, finishing 3rd in Dusseldorf? He was 5th in Melodifestivalen in 2015 and 3rd with Manboy in 2010. He was in boyband What’s Up! with fellow MF winner Stjernberg and while we see Every Minute as tonight’s big winner we’re not sure it will ultimately be victorious.