We awarded 14 monstas for the best pop, theatre, TV and film of 2018 in December – and here we look at the cream of 2019 so far and what’s to come. Company, Follies and Shakespeare Trilogy are previous winners in this category.
- Read on for our top 5 best revivals of 2019 so far and our hopes for the next half year
- All About Eve, Noel Coward Theatre Review
We said: ‘What impresses us most however are 2 members of the supporting cast that leave indelible memories with us long after the final curtain has dropped.’
2. All Our Sons, Old Vic runs to 8 June 2019 Review Tickets
We said: ‘Herrin’s production is 1 of the finest we’ve seen at this venue and Field’s debut in London is 1 not to be missed.’
3. Cyprus Avenue, Royal Court Review
We said: ‘This reminds of some of the best work of Martin McDonagh and there’s plenty of black comedy peppered throughout the piece to make the medicine of the message be stomached more easily.’
4. Rosmersholm, Duke Of York’s Theatre runs to 20 July 2019 Review Tickets
We said: ‘Ibsen is the most frequently performed dramatist in the world after Shakespeare and we’ve seen recent productions of The Master Builder at the Old Vic and The Wild Duck at the Almeida and this production left us breathless and thinking we should seek out more of his work.’
5. Sweet Charity, Donmar runs to 8 June 2019 Review Tickets
We said: ‘‘Sensational’ is the 1-word review we hear Tony and Olivier Award winner Jonathan Pryce utter as he leaves the Donmar after this farewell production by outgoing Artistic Director Josie Rourke – and we agree wholeheartedly.’
On our radar for the next 6 months are A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Tickets), Present Laughter (Tickets) Joseph (Tickets), Night Of the Iguana (Tickets), Blues In The Night (Tickets).