It’s almost Christmas and what would the festive season be without some recognition of the best of 2018? Over the next week we’ll shortlist five nominees in each of 14 categories for our Oscars, or monstas if you will, of 2018.
- Read on for nominees for the monsta for Best Performance of a song. 2017 winner: Tight Connection To My Heart by Sheila Atim (Girl From The North Country, Old Vic)
It’s almost Christmas and what would the festive season be without some recognition of the best of 2018? Over the next month we’ll shortlist five nominees in each of 14 categories for our Oscars, or monstas if you will, of 2018.
- Read on for nominees for the monsta for Revival of the year. 2017 winner: Follies at the National
WORTH A LOOK?: *****
WHERE?: Gielgud Theatre RUNTIME: 2 hours and 35 minutes (with a 20-minute interval)
WHEN?: 28/9, press night 17/10, runs to 22/12/18 (note: now extended to 30/3/19)
Company turns 50 in 2020 and the biggest compliment we can pay this inventive reimagining with a female Bobbi is that it works so well that it’s hard to imagine with a male lead.
- Read on for reasons including how Sandi Toksvig was in the audience with us for this 4th preview
- Beverley Knight is in Sylvia at the Old Vic
We’ve enjoyed a live taster of this hip hop production which runs at the Old Vic 3-22/9 with Knight (2nd from left), who last wowed in Cats at the Palladium, starring as women’s rights campaigner Emmeline Pankhurst. Elliotte Williams N’Dure (centre clip below) absolutely bossing proceedings. Tickets
- Read on for reasons including Patti LuPone in the West End, Janelle Monae in London & Killing Eve
WHERE: National Theatre
Composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim was in his 20s when he wrote the words for Gypsy in 1959 and is here tonight at the National Theatre for the first preview of the revival of his hit Follies starring Imelda Staunton.
- Read on for reasons including all the gossip from the National production starring Imelda Staunton