WHEN?: 7pm (UK time) 24/2/18 on SVT (link at the bottom of the page below)
Has this year’s been the worst Melodifestivalen ever?
- Read on for reasons including our Saturday night predictions for each of the songs
We certainly don’t think so. But we’re also unclear whether on the strength of the 1-minute clips available so far that Mariette is going to win. We do think, however, that she’ll be going straight to the final.
1. Emmi Christensson Icarus PREDICTION: 5th
A Thomas G:son co-write which sounds like it could have featured in any Eurovision over the last two decades.
2. Elias Abbas Mitt Paradis PREDICTION: 6th
More of the Latino sound that bagged both Andra Chansen slots from last week’s Heat 3 but not quite so memorable as either of those two.
3. Felicia Olsson Break That Chain PREDICTION: 7th
Pleasant middle-of-the-road plodder.
4. Rolandz Fuldans (pictured above) PREDICTION: final
We didn’t much enjoy the dancing cutlery from Heat One but this schlager is more in keeping with why we love Melodifestivalen and we reckon this year’s under-fire selection is probably crying out for a little good humour.
5. Olivia Eliasson Never Learn PREDICTION: andra chansen
Co-writer Anton Ewald has MF history and this is uptempo 80s-inspired fun.
6. Felix Sandman Every Single Day PREDICTION: andra chansen
Great lyric and a song we can’t wait to hear much more of from a third of last year’s finalists FO&O.
7. Mariette For You PREDICTION: final
A 1-minute lacking in dynamism which does enough to convince that Mariette will be straight to the final but not enough to persuade she will be victorious there.
- Pictures via Facebook courtesy SVT Melodifestivalen. Clips via YouTube courtesy SVT. Melodifestivalen tickets
- The 2m 30s clips of these songs are available here from 1pm UK time Saturday. We’ll be refreshing our predictions ahead of the 7pm heat here.
- Enjoyed this preview? Follow its author on Twitter @NeilDurham, email email@example.com and check us out on Instagram and Facebook