WHEN?: 7pm (UK time) 10/2/18 on SVT (link at the bottom of the page below)
This week’s heat boasts a very contemporary song which is our favourite entry so far but will the Swedes get behind a singer not from their own country?
- Read on for reasons including our Saturday night predictions for each of the songs
1. SAMIR and VIKTOR Shuffla PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
It’s business as usual for these 2 with a song that reminds of last year’s Moldovan entry that was heavy on the sax hook that did so well. Less annoying than their previous two entries, in its one minute version at least.
2. IDA REDIG Allting Som Vi Sa PREDICTION: 5th
Far more straightforward and less indie than we were expecting. So polite in its 1-minute version we can’t see it progressing far but bags of potential to morph into something unexpected. After last week’s shock, singing in the 2nd spot suddenly doesn’t seem quite such a slot of doom.
3. JONAS GARDELL Det Finns En Väg PREDICTION: 7th
So old-fashioned we can only envisage it being allotted the same fate as the great Kikki Danielsson last week.
4. MARGARET In My Cabana PREDICTION: Final
Very Havana by Camila Cabello. Everything we want from our pop right now. Old-school Rihanna. When she ruled. We loved Cool Me Down, Margaret’s entry in 2016’s Polish selection and this is even better. Will the Swedes warm to an international entrant in a way they didn’t for the Norwegian Kamferdrops last week?
5. STIKO PER LARSSON Titta Vi Flyger PREDICTION: 6th
In a week when the UK went folk for its entry, we can’t see the Swedes going for this. The clip actually feels like a long 60 seconds.
6. MIMI WERNER Songburning PREDICTION: Andra Chansen
Much less derivative than her previous MF entry. We’re expecting this to give Margaret a run for her money for a straight-to-final slot.
7. LIAMOO Last Breath PREDICTION: Final
The big favourite to win the whole thing has slipped in the betting since this clip aired. It’s spoken rap in its 1-minute form which is a style notoriously difficult to land well at MF but, although a little underwhelmed, we’re still confident this won’t die on stage.
- Pictures via Facebook courtesy SVT Melodifestivalen. Clips via YouTube courtesy SVT. Melodifestivalen tickets
- The 2m 30s clips of these songs are available here from 1pm UK time Saturday. We’ll be refreshing our predictions ahead of the 7pm heat here.
- Enjoyed this preview? Follow its author on Twitter @NeilDurham, email firstname.lastname@example.org and check us out on Instagram and Facebook