WHEN?: 7pm (UK time) 3/2/18 on SVT (link at the bottom of the page below)
It’s not unusual for heat 1 of Melodifestivalen to spring a song to beat and we definitely think there’s one here – and it probably is the one you were expecting.
- Read on for reasons including our Saturday night predictions for each of the songs
1. SIGRID BERNSON Patrick Swayze PREDICTION: andra chansen
This Dancing With The Stars pro-dancer-turned-singer should slay the performance of an Icona Pop-ish song with obvious lyrics which could scrape into the final.
2. JOHN LUNDVIK My Turn PREDICTION: 7th
Ballads always struggle to make an impression in their one-minute versions and this isn’t helped by it’s number two slot. A lot of work to do.
3. RENAIDA All The Feels PREDICTION: andra chansen
Uptempo and dancetastic, we’re expecting a good performance and this is exactly the sort of song that Melodifestivalen has strength in depth of.
4. EDWARD BLOM Livet På En Pinne (Life On A Stick) PREDICTION: 5th
Check out the rehearsal clip for this effort from a TV chef to appreciate the full horror.
5. KIKKI DANIELSSON Osby Tennessee PREDICTION: 6th
One of our favourite schlager divas takes the country’n’western route as expected. Much better than Charlotte Perrelli’s semi one turn last year, marvellously authentic but not what we were hoping for.
6. KAMFERDROPS Solen Lever Kvar Hos Dig (The Sun Lives On You) PREDICTION: final
A mix of Norwegian and Swedish that combines dansband and tropical house, this is an absolute triumph. Although we’re not usually fans of the sax break. The visual effect in the rehearsal clip (not pictured above) seems a step too far however.
7. BENJAMIN INGROSSO Dance You Off PREDICTION: final
As Justin Timberlake readies himself for maximum exposure with a Super Bowl interval show that signals his move into country music, it seems appropriate that the greatest show on earth finds his successor. The one we thought would be a shoo-in to the final, surely is.
- Pictures via Facebook courtesy SVT Melodifestivalen. Clips via YouTube courtesy SVT. Melodifestivalen tickets
- The 2m 30s clips of these songs are available here from 1pm UK time Saturday. We’ll be refreshing our predictions ahead of the 7pm heat here.
- Enjoyed this preview? Follow its author on Twitter @NeilDurham, email email@example.com and check us out on Instagram and Facebook